Monday, June 6, 2011

Watching the Wheels - 1980



***

Such a bitter-sweet song today, gang ...
One of my favorite Lennon songs ever ~ Talk about getting to the nucleus of ye' old noggin ... ;)


People do tend to think I'm crazy doing what I'm doing.
I've become used to it in my 36 and some odd years.



Why all of the projects? Why not just get a day job and punch a clock?

It takes me back to a conversation that I had with my dad in the back yard of my parents' house when I was staying there to get
settled after the *quarter life shift*... I won't drag you through it, but suffice it to say Daddy-o finds me to be very out of the box.  What we came up with in our conversation that day was that we would have to agree to disagree on what we thought I should be doing with my life.  My dad is a retired Union worker and while I appreciate how hard he worked to maintain that lifestyle of swing-shifts and long, hot hours; I have to side with my plan for my life.  I think that I was *created* in a way that makes it nearly physically impossible to "work for someone" for a reason.  Bizarre?  A little ... but that's how I feel about it, so you'll just have to cope :)

And that kiddos is why this song so resonates with me.

Do people think you're crazy doing what you're doing?

I think you know what I think you should do about that...
Let them think whatever the h*ll they want to ...  :)
and now for your
Ocho-rific Song o the Day
Watching the Wheels - 1980 
***


::from SongMeanings.net::
People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry
I'm just sitting here doing time

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go

***
And sadly, kids ... it's on this Ocho-rific hit that we have to learn the word posthumous as the song was released after Lennon's December 1980 murder...


post·hu·mous/ˈpäsCHəməs/Adjective

1. Occurring or appearing after the death of the originator.2. (of a child) Born after the death of its father.


::WIKI "FACTS"::
*"Watching the Wheels" is a 1981 single by John Lennon, released posthumously after his assassination the year before. It was the third and final single released from Lennon and Yoko Ono's Double Fantasy album, and reached #10 in the U.S and #30 in the UK.

* "Watching the Wheels" concerns Lennon's dismissal of those who were confounded by his "househusband" years, 1975-1980. During this period, he stayed away from the music industry and raised his son Sean with Yoko.
***
The photograph on the cover was taken by Paul Goresh, a fan of Lennon who also took the infamous photo of Lennon signing a copy of Double Fantasy for his killer, Mark David Chapman. Both photos were taken at the same place, in front of the Dakota building, which was the site of his 1980 shooting. Later, Chapman was recorded in police custody reciting a line from the song. This clip was used by the band EMF for the track "Lies" on their 1991 albumSchubert Dip, though immediate protests from Yoko prompted the sample's removal on subsequent pressings.
***
::from SongFacts.com::
Lennon wrote this to explain what he was up to in the last 6 years. Until Double Fantasy, his last album was Walls And Bridges, which was released in 1974. He was no longer interested in fame, and dedicated himself to his family - his wife Yoko and young son Sean. The song makes a statement that taking it easy and spending time with loved ones is anything but crazy. Working way too hard in an attempt to be a productive as possible, on the other hand, can be quite unfulfilling in the end. (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England)
***
Watching The Wheels(Lennon)

Appears on:Double Fantasy (8) 1980Single/EP (1) 1981The John Lennon Collection (16) 1982Lennon (64) 1990Lennon Legend (15) 1997Anthology (78) 1998Milk and Honey (Remastered) (8) 2000Acoustic (12) 2004Working Class Hero - The Definitive Lennon (3) 2005
***
~For a *snapshot* and all sorts o' info on the Double Fantasy Album, click HERE~
***
  
Until next time...
Have a Grand and Groovy Day!!
If you liked it, share it!!
Bookmark and Share

Want MORE of the Ochorific Song of the Day?  May I suggest the "New? Start Here!" page! 

1 comment:

  1. People think I'm crazy...but they always have.

    I've gotten used to it. :)

    --Ellis

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts This Week...

Most Popular Posts of All Time...