Thursday, December 23, 2010

12/23/2011 - Released in '71 & Re-Released in '73 - Greg Lake Wrote It At Age 12!

Good morning folks!  Today's post is a bit of an experiment on a slightly less rigid format on the "daily blog post".  ...or it's supposed to be.  We'll see how it turns out :) 


Anywho, I'm here because I was just looking up Emerson, Lake and Palmer -


I was visiting with a friend this week and we were discussing Greg Lake - Father Christmas



I said at the time that I wasn't familiar with the song - however when I heard it, I recognized it within seconds.  

My friend went on to explain to me that Greg Lake had been part of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  I told him that I couldn't name a song by ELP off the top of my head, but it would probably be what I experienced with Ambrosia - 


i.e. I'd say I couldn't think of a song and then skip through the CD with delight squealing,
"I love this song!! I had no iDeeeea it was Ambrosia! I'd never even Heeeeeard of them!! 
I love THIS song too!!! Well forever more - Ambrosia - I had no idea....." 


So -- here we go kids -
Emerson Lake and Palmer - from the Wiki

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, also known as ELP, are an English rock supergroup. They found success in the 1970s and sold over forty million albums[1] and headlined large stadium concerts. The band consists of Keith Emerson (keyboards),Greg Lake (bass guitar, vocals, guitar) and Carl Palmer (drums, percussion). They are one of the most commercially successful progressive rock bands and from the outset focused on combining classical pieces with rock music.

***
Emerson Lake and Palmer on ClassicBands.com

Emerson, Lake and Palmer were one of rock and roll's earliest "supergroups" who were formed from members of three already successful bands, The Nice, King Crimson and Atomic Rooster.


***

Today's Ocho-rific Song o the Day



from the WIKI
On the last day of recording their debut album, Emerson, Lake & Palmer discovered they were short of satisfying the label's contract requirement of 21 minutes of music per album side, and therefore needed one more song.[1] Greg Lake began playing "Lucky Man", a song he had written when he was 12 years old.[1] Unlike many songs on the album, which use a distorted fuzz bass to sound like a guitar, "Lucky Man" is an acoustic ballad.[2] The lyrics tell the ironic[3] story of a man who had everything, went to war, and died.[1] A Moog synthesizer solo, recorded in one take,[1] is performed by Keith Emerson at the end of song, making it one of the first rock compositions in which a Moog was a featured solo instrument.[4][5] The solo begins as an ominous drone on a low D before leaping up two octaves and using the glide control throughout.[3]

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Lucky Man on SongFacts

***


***

I shouldn't wrap things up without saying that while I remembered the song vaguely from childhood - Only in the last few years has it become familiar to me - via Shaw-Blades



Until next time...
Have a Grand and Groovy Day!!
If you liked it, share it!!
Bookmark and Share

Want MORE of the Ochorific Song of the Day?  May I suggest the "New? Start Here!" page! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts This Week...

Most Popular Posts of All Time...