Monday, November 8, 2010

A Goodie from 1972 That Almost Didn't Make it to the Album...


Happy Monday cats and kittens! 

Quite a few tweaks have been made to the Ocho-rific

Song o the Day over the weekend and more are underway.  I've been doodling on a new "page topper" .. I think the people who are properly trained call it a "page header".. but I like to call it a "page topper".  Anywho,  I did this doodle yesterday afternoon at my kitchen table over a cuppa java and a few ciggies ...


and I've turned it into the new "page topper" ... I'm tweaking it a bit more and this one will be replaced with one that's slightly snazzier looking later this week.

My delightfully talented friend Stacey was here last night visiting over java and she told me that if I'd doodle a panel she could create the background with my doodles as opposed to whomever's doodles these are that I'm using as a page background ... so I'll do that soon too.

WELL! ... not that you gave a rat's happy fanny about any of that ... but now you know :)

OH! And of course there have been some tweaks made to the navigation at the right hand side of the page ... there was a little update on that over the weekend, but you may have missed it   ;)  

And now, for today's
Ocho-rific Song o the Day...
Sunshine - Johnathan Edwards
Sunshine go away today
I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's come he's trying to run my life
Don't know what he's asking
When he tells me I better get in line
Don't hear what he's saying
When I grow up, I'm gonna make him mine
These ain't dues I been paying

How much does it cost?
I'll buy it!
The time is all we've lost
I'll try it!
He can't even run his own life,
I'll be damned if he'll run mine--sunshine...

Sunshine, go away today
I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's come he's trying to run my life
Don't know what he's asking
Working starts to make me wonder where
Fruits of what I do are going
When he says in love and war all is fair
He's got cards he ain't showing

How much does it cost?
I'll buy it!
The time is all we've lost--I'll try it!
He can't even run his own life,
I'll be damned if he'll run mine--sunshine...

Sunshine, come on back another day
I promise you I'll be singing
This old world, she's gonna turn around
brand new bells will be ringing

from the comments @ SongFacts.com - Like most of the songs on Jonathan Edwards, "Sunshine" was written shortly after Jonathan left the band. "I felt really fresh, really liberated", he recalls. "I just went out in the woods every day with my bottle of wine and guitar, sat by a lake near Boston and wrote down all those tunes, day after day".

"Sunshine" was an energetic, happy-sounding statement of protest and independence. "It was just at the time of the Vietnam War and Nixon", Jonathan recalls. "It was looking bad out there. That song meant a lot to a lot of people during that time--especially me". It started on a Boston radio station, and before long it hit the top five on the national charts. It earned him a gold record in 1971.

********

::WIKI "FACTS"::


*In 1980, Grammy-winning singer Juice Newton scored a Top-40 hit on the Billboard Country chart with her version of "Sunshine".

*Susanna Hoffs (of the Bangles) recorded a version of the song for her first solo album in 1991, but the cut did not get chosen for the final pressing and remains unreleased.

*A remake of Sunshine was released by 18-year-old pop-folk artist Josh Thompson on April 22, 2007.[3] The new version, featuring vocals by Jonathan Edwards, reached #29 on the Radio & Records' Hot A/C Indicator chart.[4]

*Jonathan Edwards recorded and released a bluegrass version of "Sunshine" (along with an entire album) with the band "The Seldom Scene."

*"Sunshine" is a country folk war protest song from 1971 by Jonathan Edwards, released as the first single from his debut album Jonathan Edwards. The single reached Billboard #4[1] and earned a gold record.[2]


*"Sunshine" was released as a single and caught fire first on Boston radio, then nationwide, hitting #4 on the Billboard pop chart on January 15, 1972[1] and earning a gold record.[2] Here's Edwards' take on its success: "It was just at the time of the Vietnam War and Nixon. It was looking bad out there. That song meant a lot to a lot of people during that time--especially me."[2]

*"Sunshine" was released as a single and caught fire first on Boston radio, then nationwide, hitting #4 on the Billboard pop chart on January 15, 1972[1] and earning a gold record.[2] Here's Edwards' take on its success: "It was just at the time of the Vietnam War and Nixon. It was looking bad out there. That song meant a lot to a lot of people during that time--especially me."[2]

*In July 2007, the original Jonathan Edwards recording joined the list of 1960s protest songs used to sell high-end consumer products when it was used as the only audio in a Jeep television spot, part of the Heritage campaign developed by the Cutwater agency.[5]
*The Isley Brothers also cut a version of this song; it may be found on their 3 + 3 album.

Until next time...
Have a Grand and Groovy Day!!
If you liked it, share it!!
Bookmark and Share
Please and Thanks!!
the Ochorific Song o' the Day

Want MORE of the Ochorific Song of the Day?  May I suggest the "New? Start Here!" page! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts This Week...

Most Popular Posts of All Time...