Saturday, October 9, 2010

10/09/2010 - ::Extra Goodies:: - You've Got to Hide your Love Away - 1965

::Extra Goodies::

You´ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
(Lennon-McCartney)




Appears on:Help! (UK) (3) 1965Help! (US) (5) 19651962-1966 (aka The Red Album) (15) 1973Love Songs (21) 1977Anthology 2 (4) 1996


Here I stand with head in hand,
Turn my face to the wall.
If she's gone I can't go on,
Feeling two foot small.
Ev'rywhere people stare,
Each and ev'ry day.
I can see them laugh at me,
And I hearthem say.
Hey, you've got hide your love away.
Hey, you've got hide your love away.
How can I even try,
I can never win,
Hearing them, seeing them,
In the state I'm in.
How could she say to me
Love will find a way?
Gather round all you clowns
Let me hear you say.
Hey, you've got hide your love away.
Hey, you've got hide your love away.



 SongFacts.com
*
The line "feeling 2 foot small" was written "feeling 2 foot tall."


Lennon sang it wrong but liked it and left it that way.
*John Lennon told Rolling Stone in 1971, that when he wrote this, he was just knocking out pop songs, without expressing his own personal emotions to any great extent: He explained: "I was in Kenwood (his home at the time) and I would just be songwriting. The period would be for songwriting and so every day I would attempt to write a song and it's one of those that you sort of sing a bit sadly to yourself, 'Here I stand, head in hand...'"
I'm a Loser' or 'Hide Your Love Away' or those kind of things- instead of projecting myself into a situation I would just try to express what I felt about myself which I'd done in me books. I think it was Dylan helped me realize that - not by any discussion or anything but just by hearing his work - I had a sort of professional songwriter's attitude to writing pop songs; he would turn out a certain style of song for a single and we would do a certain style of thing for this and the other thing. I was already a stylized songwriter on the first album. But to express myself I would write Spaniard in the Works or In His Own Write, the personal stories which were expressive of my personal emotions. I'd have a separate songwriting John Lennon who wrote songs for the sort of meat market, and I didn't consider them - the lyrics or anything - to have any depth at all. They were just a joke. Then I started being me about the songs, not writing them objectively, but subjectively."

Lennon then went on to say how listening to Bob Dylan was beginning to influence his songwriting around the time he wrote this. He recalled: "I started thinking about my own emotions - I don't know when exactly it started like '



_________

-An early Beatles Interview- 


Until next time...
Have a Grand and Groovy Day!!
If you liked it, share it!!
Bookmark and Share
Please and Thanks!!

Want MORE of the Ochorific Song of the Day?  May I suggest the "New? Start Here!" page! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts This Week...

Most Popular Posts of All Time...