Monday, August 5, 2013

An Ocho-rific On This Day - August 5th - And the World Would Never be the Same...


I almost came back in with Waylon Jennings today after hearing an interesting tidbit over the weekend, but I found a discrepancy when I went to research it online, so I'm holding off for a bit...  I guess it's a good thing I didn't ... two country songs in a row and someone may have sent in the paramedics... 


Anywho ... I found a fun "On This Day" I'll share with you .. 


On this day in 1957 - 
American Bandstand made its network debut on ABC-TV. The show was
hosted by Dick Clark. 
Until this day the show had been a local show in Philadelphia since 1952. 



I'd surely classify American Bandstand as one of the most monumentally important "things" in music history... When you think about the longevity of it, it's utterly shocking... ESPECIALLY the fact that one host was able to navigate the waters throughout the generations not only without every having to be "replaced", but while becoming an absolute beloved American icon in the process... 

When I think of American Bandstand... I think of this clip....




But before you throw me out of the room ... I also think of this clip ... 




Regardless of your generation American Bandstand showed teenagers how to "be teenagers"... from perfectly rolled bobby-sox to perfectly picked afros and bell-bottoms to just the right stirrup pant matched with excessively large bangs  ... American Bandstand crossed the generations... 

If you're looking to kill a bit more of your day with some music goodies... 

Might I suggest you check out my Mom's song post (Thanks for the Memories: Songs of Yesteryear) from today... She featured a great little tune whose melody was written in 1911 by a Vice President and didn't become famous to you and me until years later when lyrics were added... 

Something else you might enjoy... I found this fantastic special - the topic, American Bandstand...
This is part 1 of 11, so that oughta get you taken care of until quittin' time if you can clear your afternoon ...
Enjoy!



Have a Grand and Groovy Day!! 
If you liked it, Please Do Share It!!
Bookmark and Share
Don't Horse Around at the Top of the Stairs...
Don't Text and Drive...
and Don't Judge ANYONE But Yourself...

Want MORE of the Ochorific Song of the Day?  May I suggest the "New? Start Here!" page! 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts This Week...

Most Popular Posts of All Time...