Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Song about Emotional Baggage that went to #4 in 1986

Hi-Diddlee-Doo and Happy Tuesday! 


Regarding yesterday's absence .. I said on

Sunday that the Ocho-rific Song o the Day is on track, I didn't say I was never going to miss a day again   =)    It was a crazy Monday and I was still hung over from the tryptophan ...
I did the best I could.



As I sat here this morning, sipping on my java and working on pics … I pondered today’s Ocho-rific Song o the Day.  Several times yesterday songs popped into my noggin, but they all escaped me when I sat down to write at 3am after I was awakened by a sore throat and coughing fit.

I looked to my trusty Verizon Song Detector thing on my phone to see what songs I’d captured in there.  As I scrolled through them I realized that some I had saved were GONE!!  (*gasp*&+#*&@#^!*)  ((FYI Verizon … you should make that little thing so that it saves them until they’re deleted by the saver.  I lost thirty minutes this morning trying to recall a 1977 Beach Boys fave, only to realize that it wasn’t what I was feeling this morning.))

ANYWHO, I digress …. I was at a total loss for a song … I did the “YouTube Roulette”, I skimmed through my day timer as I often scribble the name of a song if I hear it during the work day. …. I clicked on Pandora to see what song played first ….all of my usual little tricks of the song picking trade ….

I leaned back in my chair, ciggie in one hand … cuppa java in the other ….
“I’ve got nuthin’…..but I feel like ..... Howard Jones!!”

I lit my ciggie and meditated on it for a few seconds….

I couldn’t name a Howard Jones song off the top of my head so early in the morning ….. YouTube ……

And here you go ….

today's
Ocho-rific
Song o the Day...

No One is to Blame - Howard Jones - 1986
***
::the Wiki Low-Down on Today's Artist::
Howard Jones (born John Howard Jones, 23 February 1955, Southampton, Hampshire, England[1]) is a Welsh musician. According to the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums, "Jones is an accomplished singer-songwriter who was a regular chart visitor in the mid 1980s with his brand of synthpop. Jones, who was equally popular in the U.S., appeared at Live Aid".[2] Allmusic journalist, Stephen Thomas Erlewine adds, "Jones was one of the defining figures of mid 1980s synthpop. His music merged the technology intensive sound of new wave with the cheery optimism of hippies and late 1960s pop. Jones racked up a string of hits in the mid and late 1980s, before he retreated into being a cult figure in the 1990s".[1]


::from SongFacts.com::


This is a song about how a person's emotional baggage holds him back from accomplishing things that should be easy in life. It was Jones' biggest hit in the US.

Jones re-recorded this song for his 1986 album One To One. This version was released as a single and featured Phil Collins as drummer and producer. Howard's little brother Martin played bass on the track. (thanks, Tim - Seattle, WA, for above 2)
::from SongMeanings.net::
You can look at the menu but you just can't eat
You can feel the cushions but you can't have a seat
You can dip your foot in the pool but you can't have a swim
You can feel the punishment but you can't commit the sin
And you want her and she wants you
We want everyone
And you want her and she wants you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame
You can build a mansion but you just can't live in it
You're the fastest runner but you're not allowed to win
Some break the rules
And live to count the cost
The insecurity is the thing that won't get lost
And you want her and she wants you
We want everyone
And you want her and she wants you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame
You can see the summit but you can't reach it
It's the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain
And you want her and she wants you
We want everyone
And you want her and she wants you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame
No one ever is to blame
No one ever is to blame
::WIKI "FACTS"::
"No One Is to Blame" is a song by British new wave musician Howard Jones. The song, in its original version, can be found on Jones' second studio album, Dream Into Action, which was released in 1985. Following the success of the previous singles taken from the album, the original track for "No One Is to Blame" was re-recorded to give the song a more radio-friendly sound. Phil Collins produced the re-recording, adding his own backing vocals and drum work.[1] The radio remix of the song was included on Jones' 1986 studio album, One to One.[2]

"No One Is to Blame" was released as a single in March 1986, and became Jones' biggest hit single in the United States, peaking at #4 on the Billboard Hot 100.[1] The song also became the first of his two #1 songs on the U.S. adult contemporary chart ("Everlasting Love" would top this chart three years later, in 1989).[3] The song was also a top 10 hit in Australia and a #16 hit in the U.K..[4]

The song is about unfulfilled mutual attractions, saying that these are normal and commonplace ("We want everyone - no one is to blame"). It uses a number of metaphors, such as "You can look at the menu, but you just can't eat" and "It's the last piece of the puzzle, but you just can't make it fit", to describe the frustration of experiencing intense attraction but being unable to act on it, for whatever reason.
Until next time...
Have a Grand and Groovy Day!!
If you liked it, share it!!
Bookmark and Share

Want MORE of the Ochorific Song of the Day?  May I suggest the "New? Start Here!" page! 

1 comment:

  1. I've always seen it as an expression of yin and yang (all of the opposites which make up the lyrics,) with the title expressing that this is just the order of things, how things are.

    No one is to blame. There's actually nothing wrong.

    Kind of Taoist...and Jones IS a Buddhist, you know. :)

    Just my two cents.

    --T.H.E. Ellisman

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts This Week...

Most Popular Posts of All Time...